Ações de caridade da Fundação de Trump passam a ser investigadas NOVA YORK  –  Fundação Donald J. Trump, que leva o nome do presidenciável republicano, está oficialmente sob investigação. O procurador-geral de Nova York, Eric Schneiderman, afirmou nesta terça-feira (13) que averigua a situação da entidade “para garantir que ela está de acordo com

Este trecho é parte de conteúdo que pode ser compartilhado utilizando o link ou as ferramentas oferecidas na página.
Textos, fotos, artes e vídeos do Valor estão protegidos pela legislação brasileira sobre direito autoral. Não reproduza o conteúdo do jornal em qualquer meio de comunicação, eletrônico ou impresso, sem autorização do Valor ( Essas regras têm como objetivo proteger o investimento que o Valor faz na qualidade de seu jornalismo.

iStock/Getty Images

SÃO PAULO  –  Os chanceleres dos quatro países fundadores do Mercosul – Brasil, Argentina, Paraguai e Uruguai – decidiram nesta terça-feira que a presidência do bloco não será exercida pela Venezuela neste semestre, mas por meio da coordenação entre os quatro países, “que poderão definir cursos de ação e adotar as decisões necessárias em matéria ec

A $150 Million Stairway to Nowhere on the Far West Side
By TED LOOSSEPT. 14, 2016
Continue reading the main storyShare This Page

A rendering of “Vessel,” with the entry garden and water feature. Credit Rendering by Visual House-Nelson Byrd Woltz
By the look of the renderings officially unveiled on Wednesday morning, New York’s next significant landmark may be the city’s biggest Rorschach test, too.

Big, bold and basket-shaped, the structure, “Vessel,” stands 15 stories, weighs 600 tons and is filled with 2,500 climbable steps. Long under wraps, it is the creation of Thomas Heatherwick, 46, an acclaimed and controversial British designer, and will rise in the mammoth Far West Side development Hudson Yards, anchoring a five-acre plaza and garden that will not open until 2018. Some may see a jungle gym, others a honeycomb.

But Stephen M. Ross, the billionaire founder and chairman of Related Companies, which is developing Hudson Yards with Oxford Properties Group, has his own nickname for “Vessel”: “the social climber.” And the steep price tag Mr. Ross’s privately held company is paying for Mr. Heatherwick’s installation? More than $150 million.

The back story of the stair-filled “Vessel” involves two men who are in step in more ways than one: a designer known for dreaming big, and a deep-pocketed developer who will spend whatever it takes to make a statement.

Currently under construction in Monfalcone, Italy, the bronzed-steel and concrete pieces that make up “Vessel” are not to be assembled on site until next year, but on Wednesday, Related Companies rolled out the design with a Hudson Yards spectacle hosted by Anderson Cooper, with a performance by the Alvin Ailey dance troupe on a set that mimicked the multiple stairways inside “Vessel.” The crowd of hundreds included Mayor Bill de Blasio.

“We know ‘Vessel’ will be debated and discussed and looked at from every angle, and Thomas,” the mayor added, addressing the architect, “if you meet 100 New Yorkers, you will find 100 different opinions on the beautiful work you’ve created. Do not be dismayed.”

On a visit to New York this summer, Mr. Heatherwick, founder of the Heatherwick Studio in London, was eager to explain his design.

Continue reading the main story

“We had to think of what could act as the role of a landmarker,” he said. “Something that could help give character and particularity to the space.”

Mr. Heatherwick said “Vessel” was partly inspired by Indian stepwells, but he also referred to it as a climbing frame — what Americans would call a jungle gym — as well as “a Busby Berkeley musical with a lot of steps.”


An upper-level view through “Vessel.” Credit Rendering by Forbes Massie-Heatherwick Studio
The design reflects Mr. Heatherwick’s belief that city natives are always looking for their next workout. “New Yorkers have a fitness thing,” he said. (It will test many city folk who can barely climb into their Ubers, but there will be an elevator for anyone unable to reach the top.)

Inside the piece, the 154 interconnecting staircases may put visitors in mind of a drawing by M. C. Escher, especially given that the open-topped structure will have 80 viewing landings.

Mr. Heatherwick’s career, as measured by his personal profile, has certainly been climbing. He gained fame for ingenious designs like his torch for the 2012 London Olympics, known as the Caldron. He is collaborating with the architect Bjarke Ingels on the design for Google’s new campus in Mountain View, Calif., and he is reimagining the home of the New York Philharmonic, David Geffen Hall, with Diamond Schmitt Architects of Toronto.

But other projects have faced some downward pressure. Mr. Heatherwick’s proposal for a garden-topped bridge across the Thames River in London was held up by budget issues in July, though Mr. Heatherwick said it was moving forward again. In New York, the Hudson River island park known as Pier 55 — funded by another Heatherwick-admiring billionaire, Barry Diller — was stalled by a legal challenge that was rejected last week. (According to Mr. Diller, the challenge is being secretly sponsored by Douglas Durst, a real estate rival of Mr. Ross’s.)

“It’s a leap of faith in terms of scale,” said Susan K. Freedman, president of the Public Art Fund, who has seen the “Vessel” renderings and likes them. “ I admire the ambition,” she added. “You can’t be small in New York.”

But Ms. Freedman had her reservations. “The bigger problem may be traffic control,” she said, given that the work will be near the already crowded High Line, the tourist attraction whose northernmost segment winds around Hudson Yards. “I think people will want to experience it.”

Thomas Woltz, of the firm Nelson Byrd Woltz, designed Hudson Yards’ Public Square and Gardens, with input from Mr. Heatherwick, as a dramatically landscaped attraction. The square will be the $200 million centerpiece of Hudson Yards’ eastern section, a mixed-use parcel with eight buildings comprising office space, retail outlets, residences and a new cultural institution, the Shed. The eastern section stretches from 30th to 34th Streets and from 10th to 11th Avenues, built largely on a platform over the West Side Rail Yards.

Despite the name “Public Square,” Hudson Yards is a private development, and “Vessel” was commissioned and approved by a committee of one: Mr. Ross, who has kept the design models in a locked cabinet in the Related offices — when not allowing brief peeks to lure commercial tenants. “I have the only key,” he said with a smile.

When Mr. Ross began the process of finding a piece several years ago, he first turned to five artists who are known for working in public plazas — and whom he declined to name — and asked them for detailed proposals. One of the unbuilt plans cost him $500,000, he said, and another $250,000.


Interior view of “Vessel,” with 80 viewing landings. Credit Forbes Massie-Heatherwick Studio
But he was unsatisfied. “Been there, seen that,” Mr. Ross said of his reaction.

A Related colleague suggested Mr. Heatherwick, who had come in previously for a meeting at the company to discuss a future pavilion on the site.

Mr. Heatherwick and Mr. Ross talked, and six weeks later, the designer sent a proposal. “I looked at it and said, ‘That’s it,’” Mr. Ross said. “It had everything I wanted.” That was in 2013.

“Everybody here thought I was nuts,” Mr. Ross said of his colleagues’ reactions.

The idea of “Vessel” as an exclamation point toward the northern end of the High Line is part of Mr. Ross’s grand plan to make Hudson Yards the center of New York, despite its hard-to-reach location.

“The most important place in New York is Rockefeller Center during Christmas time,” Mr. Ross said. “I wanted to have a 12-month Christmas tree.”

One of Mr. Heatherwick’s main goals for the piece is to raise people significantly above ground level so they can see the city — and one another — in a new way.

“The power of the High Line is the changed perspective on the world,” Mr. Heatherwick said.

The interactive feature of “Vessel” was partly a reaction to what Mr. Heatherwick sees as previous failures in public projects: Plop art. “We’ve gotten used to these 1960s, 1970s plazas with obligatory big artworks plunked down,” he said.

“Vessel” is only 50 feet in diameter at its base, rising to 150 feet at the top, meaning that it has a “small bum,” Mr. Heatherwick said, and does not take over the plaza’s ground level.

The cost of the piece has ballooned from the original estimate, $75 million, Mr. Ross said. Mr. Heatherwick noted that the process of making the steel pieces was unusually complex. “We didn’t have an unlimited budget, but no corners have been cut,” Mr. Heatherwick said, adding that “Vessel” was sturdy enough to “take Hurricane Sandys.”

The price does not appear to trouble his patron.

Mr. Ross has now hired Heatherwick Studio to design two residential buildings, one at Hudson Yards and one in Chelsea.

Mayor Nancy Vaughan of Greensboro, N.C., in a TV interview. She said the N.C.A.A.’s decision “cuts really deep.” CreditAndrew Brown/Greensboro Coliseum Complex

For months, North Carolina has weathered the umbrage of corporate America and the anger of the federal government over a law that curbed the rights of gay and transgender people.

But in a state where basketball coaches and March Madness tournament moments are immortalized, the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s decision to punish the state for its contested law — by stripping it of the seven championship events it was to host this academic year — was, in the words of the writer Ed Southern, “a punch to the gut.”

Hosting college sports tournaments is part of the state’s fabric. “It is something that North Carolinians take pride in, and have taken pride in for so long,” said Mr. Southern, the author of an anthology about sports in North Carolina. “Especially when it comes to college basketball, we tend to be pretty snobbish.”

Yet the coming college basketball postseason will not run through North Carolina, nor will N.C.A.A. championships in baseball, lacrosse, golf, soccer and tennis that were scheduled for the state. And Tuesday’s round of sports-related soul-searching often seemed to revolve around a single question: Why did a political firestorm about transgender rights have to shut down basketball courts and baseball diamonds?

Supporters of the law commonly known as House Bill 2, which, among other provisions, requires people in publicly owned buildings to use restrooms that correspond with the gender listed on their birth certificate, saw the N.C.A.A. as a fount of hypocrisy and “political peacocking.” Critics, who say the statute is discriminatory, frequently described the decision as bittersweet. Some questioned whether the N.C.A.A. should have penalized communities for the actions of the state government.

The debates sometimes appeared academic, amid copious talk about sports in a state where elementary students dress in jerseys and can rattle off the letters of the consonant-rich surname of the men’s basketball coach at Duke University (Krzyzewski).

“For so many here, college athletics is part of their identity, so I think today, it’s more than economics,” said D. Scott Dupree, the executive director of the Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance, which recruits events to the area in and around the state capital. “I think people today feel disappointed, frustrated, ticked off or just plain sad, or a combination of all of the above. People take it personally.”

Some officials at the universities in the state that belong to the Atlantic Coast Conference — Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Wake Forest — expressed disappointment in the effects of the N.C.A.A.’s decision. Fan websites became forums for arguments about civil rights law instead of recruiting. Then there was the incredulity that North Carolina, which has hosted more N.C.A.A. men’s basketball tournament games (251) than any other state, would not do so next year.

“This cuts really deep for me,” said Mayor Nancy Vaughan of Greensboro, whose father was the A.C.C.’s associate commissioner for basketball operations. “We have a history of supporting people throughout our community, and we wish the N.C.A.A. would have made their decision based on the merits of the communities that these tournaments are in and not by something the legislature imposed on us.”

More disappointments may lie ahead, in large part because Monday’s decision increased the pressure on the A.C.C., which is headquartered in Greensboro and has scheduled more than a dozen championship events in North Carolina in the coming months.

California Today: A Leaning Tower in San Francisco
Mike McPhate
Mike McPhate
Continue reading the main storyShare This Page

The Millennium Tower, a 58-story condominium skyscraper in San Francisco. Credit Thomas Fuller/The New York Times
Good morning.

Welcome to California Today, a morning update on the stories that matter to Californians (and anyone else interested in the state).

Tell us about the issues that matter to you — and what you’d like to see:

Want to receive California Today by email? Sign up.

Thomas Fuller, the San Francisco bureau chief for The New York Times, provides today’s introduction with news in the case of the sinking Millennium Tower.

For years, San Francisco was a famously low-rise city. Then came the tech boom and the race was on to build the glass and steel edifices that populate the world’s great cities. But in earthquake-prone San Francisco there’s a catch: many of the city’s new skyscrapers are concentrated in a neighborhood of squishy land reclaimed from the bay.

One of the new buildings, the 58-story Millennium Tower, has now sunk by 16 inches. Worse, the condominium building is sinking unevenly.

The scandal of San Francisco’s Millennium Tower turned decidedly more political on Tuesday when Aaron Peskin, a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, told reporters that he had unearthed official documents showing the city’s building inspection department had raised concerns about sinking seven years ago, just before the building was supposed to open its doors.


California Today
The news and stories that matter to Californians (and anyone else interested in the state). Sign up to get it by email.

Email address
Sign Up
A letter sent by the city to the engineering firm spoke of “larger than usual” settlement of the structure and asked whether the consequences had been studied.

Yet six months later, in August 2009, the city declared the building safe for occupancy.

On Tuesday, Mr. Peskin questioned why the city allowed people to move in.

“I believe, and I know this is a very serious allegation,” Mr. Peskin said, “that there was some level of political interference.”

The response to the city’s query by the engineering firm, DeSimone Consulting Engineers, is missing from the official record, Mr. Peskin said. He has called hearings scheduled for Sept. 22, and city officials will be subpoenaed.

The hearings are likely to capture the attention of the California political class because the mayor at the time the building was approved, Gavin Newsom, is now lieutenant governor and has aspirations to become governor.

P.J. Johnston, a spokesman for Millennium Partners, told the San Francisco Chronicle that suggesting the firm received special treatment from the city was “simply outrageous.”

Some of the owners of the building, which includes the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Joe Montana, are trying to band together to recoup losses in property values.

In August, a small army of lawyers filed a class-action lawsuit against the building’s developers as well as the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, a government entity building a transportation hub next door to the Millennium Tower. Whether or not the construction of the Transbay transport terminal contributed to the sinking has yet to be determined.

Mark Garay, one of the lawyers for the apartment owners, says it is too early to pinpoint the precise causes for the building sinking, but that it had already begun significantly before work on the transport terminal started.

“What we do know is that the foundation of this building does not go into bedrock,” he said. “It’s all landfill. It used to be part of the bay.”

Perhaps what is most clear at this point is that all of this is only the beginning of the story.

A protester on Tuesday outside the federal courthouse in Portland, Ore., where the trial of Ammon Bundy and six other defendants was being held. CreditDon Ryan/Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. — The armed demonstrators who took over a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon this year were attempting to reclaim land that they believed was improperly seized by the federal government, a lawyer for one of the group’s leaders told a packed courtroom on Tuesday.

Marcus Mumford, the lawyer for Ammon Bundy, one of seven defendants on trial here on federal conspiracy and weapons charges, said in an opening statement that the group was trying to draw attention to the government’s mismanagement of public lands, and to protest the treatment by federal agencies of ranching families in Oregon.

His remarks came during opening statements in the trial of Mr. Bundy, his brother Ryan Bundy and five other activists who led the six-week occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, which began on Jan. 2, the latest flare-up in a long-running conflict over who should control millions of acres of publicly owned land in the West.

“Mr. Bundy complied with the law — the government did not,” Mr. Mumford told the 12-member jury. “The federal government didn’t have the right to own” the 187,000-acre refuge, established in 1908 as a land preserve by President Theodore Roosevelt.

Ryan Bundy, who is acting as his own lawyer in the case, told the jury that for his part, he never sought to harm anyone, but felt a responsibility, derived from the principles of the Declaration of Independence — from which he quoted at length — to stand up to tyranny. “We had no intention to do evil, and the evidence will show this,” he said.

But federal prosecutors, in their opening presentation to the panel earlier on Tuesday, said the armed group had posed a threat of violence from the first day, when it cleared the refuge “at gunpoint,” until the final hours of the occupation, when the last holdouts told law enforcement officials that they were prepared to die.

The occupiers’ words and actions were never peaceful, Geoffrey A. Barrow, an assistant United States attorney, told the court. They trained in weapons and hand-to-hand combat while living at the refuge, Mr. Barrow said. They used earth movers to build defensive barricades.

“They wanted the world to know that they had taken it from the federal government,” he said.

The takeover of the refuge, in eastern Oregon, lasted nearly six weeks. It set off a national debate about homegrown right-wing militias, public lands, constitutional rights and police powers, especially after one of the occupiers, LaVoy Finicum, 54, was shot and killed by the Oregon State Police in late January after he raced his truck toward a police roadblock and then appeared to reach for his weapon.

In all, 26 people were indicted on felony conspiracy, weapons and theft charges — with the government contending that the occupiers conspired to impede federal employees at the refuge from performing their duties by using force, intimidation or threats, and that they stole government property and took weapons into a federal property.

The trial of the Bundys and five followers is the first of two expected trials stemming from the refuge seizure, and on Tuesday, the lawyers and defendants — three of whom are representing themselves — outlined the stories they said the evidence would show.


Ammon Bundy, left, and his brother Ryan Bundy in January in an office at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon. Ryan Bundy is acting as his own lawyer in the case. CreditJim Urquhart/Reuters

Federal prosecutors intend to present physical evidence that suggests a threat far beyond mere words. On Tuesday, they filed a list of potential exhibits that included dozens of pistols and rifles recovered from the refuge site and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Other evidence listed by the prosecution was created by the defendants themselves, including videos and photos taken of one another on their cellphones, posts on Facebook and recordings of the almost daily statements that members of the occupation group made to reporters and television cameras at the refuge.

Defense lawyers have said that the occupiers were legally exercising free speech rights, and that openly carrying a weapon in Oregon is also legal.

Judge Anna J. Brown of United States District Court for the District of Oregon said in her jury instructions that disagreeing with the opinions of the defendants was not enough to support a guilty verdict.

“Defendants’ political beliefs are not on trial,” she said. “Defendants cannot be convicted based on unpopular beliefs.”

Whether unpopular or not, what the defendants believed — and what they said about those beliefs at the time — will define much of the case. And at least one defense strategy so far is to suggest that maybe, at least in the case of David Fry, who was the last occupier to surrender and leave the refuge, those beliefs might not always have made sense.

Mr. Fry’s lawyer, Per C. Olson, said in his opening statement that Mr. Fry, 28, was not a leader of the group, or even really much of a participant, and had left his guns at home in Ohio before driving out to join the occupation in early January.

“He was a little bit of an oddball, if you will,” Mr. Olson said, with patterns of thought that were “not typical and not always rational.”

But then, after Mr. Finicum’s death, Mr. Olson said, Mr. Fry changed. Fearing a police raid on the compound, he began carrying a shotgun, and said in front a camera, “I’m prepared to make a stand — I’m prepared to die,” Mr. Olson said.

Mr. Olson said jurors would see in that arc of psychology a man who had not committed a crime of trying to intimidate or impede anyone. “It was all in defense,” Mr. Olson said.

The trial is expected to last about two months.

ADVERTISEMENT: Breathless Choir
Philips Breathless Choir
Imagine trying to sing when every breath is a battle
Philips Breathless Choir
Imagine trying to sing when every breath is a battle
Watch the inspiring journey of the Breathless Choir

Tribal members say the camp and protests pose no threat to anyone.

On a stroll through the camp, visitors meet young men on horseback, children playing in the grass and grandparents in camping chairs, some of whom have traveled from as far as California, Florida and New York.

But there appear to be few faces from neighboring towns like Mandan and St. Anthony. Residents from Morton County — population 30,000, about 92 percent white — often pass by the camp, cellphone cameras out. Few make the turnoff to head in.

“We don’t know our neighbors,” said Jana Gipp, a member of the Standing Rock Sioux who lives on 130 acres along the Missouri River here. “They don’t know that we’re hard workers. We don’t all drink. We have jobs. We have to support our families.”

The main camp sits on federal land managed by the Army Corps of Engineers and is run by a group of volunteers and members from the Standing Rock Sioux. People line up for communal breakfasts, dance and sing around campfires, and march a mile up the highway to the privately owned ranch land where construction on the pipeline has halted for the moment.

Tribal officials say they have applied for a camping permit from the corps, but law enforcement officials say they do not appear to have one. The corps did not respond to emails asking about the legality or status of the camp. On Tuesday, the chief executive of Energy Transfer Partners, the company developing the pipeline, sent a memo to employees saying it is committed to the project.

There are many ties between Indian and non-Indian residents here. Every weekend, people drive down to the Prairie Knights Casino and Resort on the Standing Rock Sioux reservation to gamble and see concerts. Plenty of friendships straddle reservation boundaries.

But each side views the protests through a starkly different prism.

Last month, Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier of Morton County warned that his officers had been threatened with pipe bombs. Tribal leaders said that was a misinterpretation of a call for demonstrators to “load up their pipes” — their ceremonial chanupa pipes.


The Standing Rock Sioux chairman, David Archambault II, spoke to supporters at a rally after learning that the United States government had ordered a pause in construction on part of the pipeline.CreditAlyssa Schukar for The New York Times

Last week, when protests flared into violence at a construction site for the Dakota Access pipeline, many white residents blamed protesters for breaking down a fence, rushing onto privately owned land and attacking pipeline contractors. But opponents of the project said the marchers had been provoked when the pipeline company dug through land that tribal members say is a sacred cultural and burial ground. They condemned the pipeline company for hiring private security guards whose dogs they say bit several people.

On Saturday afternoon, Jim and LaVonne Henes and three friends from Bismarck, N.D., were eating lunch at a restaurant in a tiny farm community, St. Anthony, on their way to a concert by the rocker George Thorogood at the Prairie Knights casino. They had planned to camp there over the weekend, but as tensions and the police presence rose in recent days, they decided to head home after the concert.

“I didn’t feel safe,” Ms. Henes, 55, said.

Mr. Henes echoed a growing impatience with the large-scale protests, now entering their second month. (Smaller numbers have been camped out since April.)

“The feeling’s getting to be that the governor hasn’t done enough,” he said. “They’re on corps land, which they’re not supposed to be on. This has gone on long enough. The governor needs to show some backbone.”

With work stopped for the moment, it is unclear how many people will stay at the camp, and for how long, given the approach of North Dakota’s cutting winter. The sheriff and other public officials have started to talk about their hopes of a “peaceful endgame,” but people at the camp say they plan to stay.

Whatever happens, the Standing Rock Sioux, county residents and law enforcement agree on this: They will be here when the visiting protesters have left.

“I have to live here when everybody’s gone,” said David Archambault II, the chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux.

WASHINGTON/DAMASCO/MOSCOU — Embora um cessar-fogo acordado entre Rússia e Estados Unidos tenha entrado em vigor na Síria nesta segunda-feira, moradores relataram que a trégua foi violada em menos de uma hora na cidade de Aleppo. Por mensagens de celular, eles disseram que um helicóptero do governo lançou explosivos em um distrito controlado pelos rebeldes. Enquanto isso, uma facção rebelde disse em comunicado que matou quatro soldados do regime na província de Daraa.

Veja também

Presidente sírio, Bashar Assad, caminha cercado de autoridades pelas ruas de Daraya no dia previsto para início do cessar-fogoAcordo para cessar-fogo na Síria começa nesta segunda-feira
Homens sírios carregam bebês entre ruínas após bombardeio aéreo no bairro de Salihin, no norte da cidade de Aleppo Rebeldes sírios aprovam trégua, mas alertam para necessidade de supervisão
Homem carrega criança na cena de atentado que atingiu mercado movimentado na SíriaRegime sírio aprova plano de trégua de EUA e Rússia
O Observatório Sírio para Direitos Humanos (OSDH), no entanto, diz que as principais frentes de batalha estão calmas nesta segunda-feira. Com base no Reino Unido, o grupo monitora os conflitos que há cinco anos assolam a Síria.

— Os primeiros relatos que recebi indicam uma redução na violência, além de alguns de confrontos aqui e ali, mas é muito cedo tirar qualquer conclusão definitiva. Haverá invariavelmente relatos de violações, mas é a natureza do cessar-fogo — disse em coletiva o secretário de Estado americano, John Kerry, que destacou a importância de aproveitar a trégua para avançar com a ajuda humanitaria em regiões como Aleppo. — Não preciso soletrar o quão importante é a assistência, em alguns casos significando a diferença entre a vida e a morte de dezenas de milhares de pessoas.

A Rússia emitiu um comunicado, através do Ministério de Relações Exteriores, dizendo estar preocupada com eventuais violações à trégua por parte de grupos rebeldes. A chancelaria afirmou, na nota, esperar dos EUA uma participação na efetivação do cessar de hostilidades.

O cessar-fogo foi iniciado com muitas dúvidas se o pacto seria efetivamente respeitado. Caso seja mantido por sete dias, os EUA e a Rússia deverão realizar ataques aéreos coordenados contra jihadistas na Síria.

O Exército sírio anunciou nesta segunda-feira a interrupção de suas operações militares no país, depois da entrada em vigor da trégua negociada entre a Rússia e os Estados Unidos. Os principais grupos insurgentes, no entanto, ainda não manifestaram oficialmente sua conformidade com o trato.

Mais cedo, o presidente sírio, Bashar al-Assad, afirmou que pretende “recuperar” todo o território que não está sob controle do regime. Ele fez uma aparição pública durante a oração de Eid al-Adha, a festa muçulmana do sacrifício, em uma mesquita de Daraya, antigo reduto rebelde próximo de Damasco.

— O Estado sírio está determinado a recuperar todas as regiões que estão nas mãos dos terroristas e a restabelecer a segurança — declarou Assad à imprensa estatal.

O regime utiliza a palavra terrorista para fazer referência a rebeldes e jihadistas.

— As Forças Armadas vão continuar seu trabalho sem hesitação (…) e independente dos fatores externos e internos — completou Assad, a poucas horas do início do cessar-fogo, programado para 19h locais (13h de Brasília).


Enquanto isso, a oposição síria pediu garantias sobre a aplicação do acordo de cessar-fogo. Esta é a segunda tentativa de Washington e Moscou para conter a guerra neste ano.

— Queremos saber quais são as garantias (…) Esperamos que existam garantias e pedimos garantias especialmente dos Estados Unidos, que é parte envolvida no acordo de trégua — afirmou Salem al-Muslet, porta-voz do Alto Comitê de Negociações (ACN) da oposição Síria.


Mesmo após o anúncio do pacto de trégua, regiões do país foram bombardeadas e o número de mortos, inicialmente registrado em 25, ultrapassa 100, segundo agências internacionais e locais. Mais bombardeios aéreos atingiram as províncias de Aleppo e Idlib no domingo, após inserções aéreas deixarem dezenas de mortos no sábado. Um ataque na cidade Saraqeb atingiu um centro de defesa civil que era base de socorristas, informou o OSDH, entidade sediada no Reino Unido que monitora a guerra no país.

A guerra civil na Síria envolve múltiplos atores e já dura cinco anos. Mais de 290 mil pessoas já morreram neste período, enquanto outras milhões já deixaram suas casas na fuga dos conflitos. A violência no país desencadeou uma grande crise migratória, enquanto muitos tentam chegar aos países europeus em busca de uma vida melhor.

Leia mais sobre esse assunto em
© 1996 – 2016. Todos direitos reservados a Infoglobo Comunicação e Participações S.A. Este material não pode ser publicado, transmitido por broadcast, reescrito ou redistribuído sem autorização.


Deixe um comentário

Preencha os seus dados abaixo ou clique em um ícone para log in:

Logotipo do

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Sair /  Alterar )

Foto do Google+

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Google+. Sair /  Alterar )

Imagem do Twitter

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Twitter. Sair /  Alterar )

Foto do Facebook

Você está comentando utilizando sua conta Facebook. Sair /  Alterar )


Conectando a %s